Tuesday 17 February 2009

Rebecca's Story

Rebecca shared with us her story on our social network site mydiabetes.com and I share it with our blog readers this morning.

Rebecca writes;

"My name is Rebecca , I'm 39 and have been type 2 insulin required diabetic since Feb 1988.I have had a lot of up and downs in the past 21 years. But, the most recent is this past year I lost my right leg just below the knee. I had 2 diabetic ulcers caused from a rusty nail I stepped on in 2004. I walked on it for a week before anyone found it. By then it was so black I thought I was going to lose it then. But, with the luck of my doctors the where able to save it for a few years After the infection was out of the sore it healed up. Then December of 2006, I got a little sore on the bottom of the right foot again. We battled with it for 2 years in and out of the hospitals and nursing homes. In May of last year I got down real sick I thought it was the flu here my foot had gangrene in it( I found out later). I went to the doctor and one look he said to the hospital you go. We are removing the foot in the morning. I was so scared I had nobody to talk to except the nurse's on my floor. And of course they where busy. But, one of them did come in after shift and talked to me. After being in the hospital for 2 weeks I went back to the nursing home again for another 4 months for rehab. Now , I am home and I have a prosthetic leg and I can walk again after 2years. And I can even dive into a swimming pool again. They are even getting ready to make me a new leg cause the first one is getting to big."


No comments: